The MXH918 PCIe 4.0 x8 NTB Host Adapter is our medium performance clustering product. Based on Microchip Switchtec® PCIe 4.0 bridging architecture, the MXH918 host adapter includes advanced features for non-transparent bridging (NTB) and clock isolation.
For high performance application developers, the MXH918 host adapter combines 128 Gbit/s performance with an application to application latency below 500 nanoseconds. Inter-processor communication benefits from the high throughput and low latency. Using the latest SmartIO technology software from Dolphin, GPU / Cuda applications can now stream data to remote GPUs at at the same speed as to local GPUs. Advanced DMA features enables fast data transfers hosts.
The MXH918 card comes with a full license to the Dolphin eXpressWare clustering software. This includes
- SISCI API - a robust and powerful shared memory programming environment for PCIe
- Standard TCP/IP drivers
- SuperSockets socket accelerator software
- SmartIO - access to remote PCIe devices over PCIe
- Board management software
Dolphin’s software suite takes advantage of DMA and PIO data transfer scheme to effectively supporting both large and small data transfers. PIO transfers optimize small packet transfers at the lowest latency. DMA moves data with virtually no CPU consumption. The eXpressWare software is currently available for Linux, Windows and VxWorks.
The overall software framework is designed for rapid development and deployment of inter-processor communication systems. More information about Dolphin eXpressWare clustering software.
The MXH918 card has a dual SFF-8644 cable connector and support PCIe 4.0 cables. The MXH918 is carefully designed for maximum cable lengths. Fiber optics extends this distance to 100 meters. More info on cable alternatives for the MXH918 card.
The MXH918 can be used to create several types of PCIe networks:
- A two node network can be realized using 2 cables (x8). Full PCIe Gen4 x8 performance between the two systems.
- A three node network can be realized using 1 cable (x4) between each system. Full PCIe 4.0 x4 performance between the three systems.
- Larger configurations can be realized using one or more of the MXS924 24 port PCIe 4.0 switch.
In combination with Dolphins eXpressWare, the MXH918 supports surprise hot add when connected to a traditional external IO system. More on Dolphins Hot Add. If you don't need Transparent Hot Add, please select the MXH932 Gen4 Adapter card.